Notes from Fringe 1.18 Midnight April 29, 2009Posted by Amy Yen in Fringe, TV.
Tags: Amy Yen, Fringe, Fringe 1.18, Fringe Boone, Fringe Leonard Nimoy, Fringe Midnight, Fringe vampire, Fringe William Bell, Fringe ZFT, StrawGrasping
Um, first of all, I kind of loved the NCIS spin-off backdoor pilot tonight, I just thought I’d mention that. As successful as NCIS has been this year, I’ve actually thought it’s been kind of slow-moving…there’s been no week-to-week investment. It’s a true procedural, built on & dependent on the likability of its characters. But at some point, you actually have to go somewhere with these folks. It’s about time for things to pick up. Anyway, back to Fringe, I thought it was a solid episode with a nice mix of monster-of-the-week & ZFT mythology mojo. Maybe not as sharp or significant as “Bad Dreams,” but there were some really killer moments.
- You know Fringe is approaching X-Files-level creep factor when the idea of a serial killer is totally not scary at all. Of course, then they got me with the gross torn open neck. Ew! Okay fine, cold open, you get an extra half point on my scale, but for Fringe, that’s still pretty tame. I give it a 6.5.
- This Two-Singles-Together couple is creepier than the cold open spine vamp.
- Well, Rachel. What did you expect? I didn’t even remember you HAD an ex-husband. Also, heh, I was typing that while watching & totally typed “vampire” instead of “ex-husband.”
- “You know what this reminds me of, Peter?” “No, but I can guess that it’s something unbelievably disgustin—” “Shrimp cocktail!” HA! And ICK!
- “When you finally meet a nice girl, I would avoid bringing her home as long as possible.” YAY! Astrid gets to snark this week! More Astrid! More Astrid!
Live-Bloglet: Fringe 1.16 Unleashed April 15, 2009Posted by Amy Yen in Fringe, TV.
Tags: Amy Yen, Fringe, Fringe 1.16, Fringe Charlie, Fringe Charlie Francis, Fringe Fox, Fringe Leonard Nimoy, Fringe Unleashed, Fringe Walter, Fringe William Bell, Leonard Nimoy, StrawGrasping
add a comment
I haven’t gotten a chance to write about it much, but I am a huge fan of JJ Abrams’ newest series, Fringe (Tuesdays at 9pm ET on FOX). It’s looking good to pick up a second season, so I thought I’d try out doing a little live-bloglet of my thoughts during tonight’s Charlie Francis-heavy episode, Unleashed.
1. “Monsters aren’t real, right?” Whatever, kid. Probably you’re already been all brain-scrambled by that computer program in The No-Brainer.
2. The animal-activists-for-dinner cold open? I give it a solid 7.5 on the gross scale. It’s not jaw-falling-off-of-the-guy-in-the-pilot, but dude, sucks for that lab owner.
3. Ear in the omelet! HA! And ick!